link to homelink to about uslink to accommodations and frequently asked questionthe Riverside Foundationhistory and prominent residentsnewsletter

  Riverside Cemetery
  3607 Pearl Road   Cleveland, Ohio   44109

  216.351.4800

email Riverside Cemetery


The stories of the residents of Riverside Cemetery tell the history of Cleveland and northeast Ohio. Here at Riverside, one can wander among the monuments to those lives, from the early settlers to great industrialists, of the immigrants to intellectuals, and wives and husbands whose own unique lives remain an inspiration to their loved ones. The biographies below highlight the lives of a few of the more prominent residents memorialized at Riverside.

A-F

JOHN M. ACKLEY 1835-1925 | WILLIAM J. O. ASTRUP  1845-1915

JOSIAH BARBER SR.  1771-1842 | JOSIAH BARBER JR.  1825-1884


FRED A. BLOETSCHER  1885-1918 | TITUS N. BRAINARD  1825-1910

MATTHEW FREDERICK BRAMLEY  1868-1941 | FRANCIS BRANCH  1812-1877

STEPHEN BUHRER  1825-1907 | DANIEL CHATTERSON  1825-1897

DIODATE CLARK  1798-1876 | HON. JAMES M. COFFINBERRY  1818-1891


JOHN B. COWLE  1826-1914 | JAMES MILTON CURTISS  1840-1916

JOHN N. DAYKIN  1829-1892 | LINDA ANNE EASTMAN  1867-1963

HARRY M. FARNSWORTH  1862-1955 | CLAUD HANSCOMB FOSTER  1872-1965

G-N

CARL E. GEHRING  1830-1893 | HENRY HOFFMANN   1827-1880

CHARLES WILLIAM HOPKINSON  1865-1950
| AVERY HOPWOOD  1883-1928

JOHN GILES JENNINGS  1825-1896 | JOHN GOULD JENNINGS  1856-1937

CARLOS JONES  1827-1897 | THOMAS H. LAMSON  1827-1882

ISAAC  P. LAMSON  1832- 1912 | ISAAC LEISY  1838-1892

AUSTIN LLOYD  1885-1989 | ROBERT LOCKWOOD, JR  1915-2006

NICHOLAS MEYER  1809-1884 | JOHN AND RUBY MILLER

OMAR EUGENE MUELLER  1880-1946 |
GEORGE V. MUTH  1834-1899

O-Z

FREDERICK W. PELTON  1827-1902

DANIEL P. RHODES  1814-1875 | JAMES FORD RHODES  1848-1927

ROBERT R. RHODES 1845-1916 | JOHN NEWTON RICHARDSON  1837-1902

REV. HERMAN J. RUETENIK  1826-1914 | MARTIN RUETENIK  1868-1947

LEONARD B. SCHLATHER  1834-1918| CHRISTIAN SCHUELE 1849-1926


SAMUEL W. SESSIONS  1824-1902
| JULIUS SPANG  1852-1950

OMAR N. STEELE  1843-1911 | MARGARET (MAGGIE) RAUSHA WARFUEL TAYLOR  1846-1875

GEORGE A. TINNERMAN  1845-1925 | ALBERT H. TINNERMAN  1879-1961

ROBERT B. WALLACE 1834-1911 | FREDERICK W. WALZ 1858-1945

JOHN CHRISTIAN WEIDEMAN  1829-1900

 

JOHN M. ACKLEY   1835-1925

He was born in Vermont in 1825 and came to Cleveland where he became a Civil Engineer. As explained in the Section on the Founding of Riverside Cemetery, he was the principal surveyor who performed the original topographical survey and land-use plan for Riverside.

At a later time in his life, he was chosen to be the model for the statue of Moses Cleveland which stands in Public Square, since his likeness and stature were so similar to our city's founder.

He died at the age of 90 and is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 11.

back to top

 

WILLIAM J. O. ASTRUP   1845-1915


The Astrup monument

Astrup was a Danish sailmaker and began making sails, awnings and canvas products in 1876 on Pearl Street in Cleveland which was the center of the Marine business on the Lakes. In the early 1890's, tents were added to the line. To meet his own needs, he designed the first awning hardware, and was soon supplying other companies with products that numbered in the thousands a half century later. In 1909, the Astrup Co. was incorporated.

When he passed away, the company was taken over by his sons William E., who died the following year, and Walter C. who became President in 1917. A modern factory was built in 1924 at 2937 West 25th Street. Astrup had become a leading name in awning manufacture, its gaily striped tents and awnings making up a large export business. In 1956, it was the country's largest manufacturer of awning fabric and canvas. It is still operated today at the same location by the founder's great grandsons.

The family is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 6.


An early view of the Astrup factory.

back to top

 

JOSIAH BARBER SR.  1771-1842

The Barber family monument
He was the son of Capt. Stephen and Alice Cass Barber. He was the initial toll taker on the first bridge over the Cuyahoga River connecting the West and East sides of the City. When the last division of the Western Reserve lands was made in Connecticut in 1809 he, together with his father-in-law Samuel Lord and his brother-in-law Richard Lord, received the portion from the western border of the Cuyahoga River to the what is now West 117 Street to the west, Lake Erie to the north and what is now Brookpark Road to the south, except for the Alfred Kelly farm already established on St. Clair Ave. They arranged for a survey and sale of lands to settlers in the section through the Lords and Barber Realty Co. Lords and Barber developed most of the West Side of Cleveland in the early 1800's. 

He was a prime mover of the West Side residential, commercial, and industrial development. In 1818 he built a log house at West 25 Street (Pearl) and Franklin Avenue which overlooked the River Valley. He later replaced this house with the first brick house in Cleveland. In 1831 he and Richard Lord started a distillery near the Flats and the area soon became known as "Whiskey Island".

Barber operated a store at West 25th Street and Lorain Avenue. He and his partners dedicated a large portion of land for an open-air market that was the forerunner of the West Side Market. He also gave the land for a Public Market Square across from the West Side Market to always be kept public. In 1834 he was one of the incorporators of Cleveland's first manufacturing company, The Cuyahoga Steam Furnace Company. In 1843 this company launched a boat named the "Emigrant". This was a 275 ton boat with a 70 horsepower engine and was the first steam propeller boat built in Cleveland. He had a major role as a Civil Engineer in the construction of CCC, CCC & I and LS & MS railroads. The CCC Railroad was one Ohio's first railroads with a route from Cleveland to Columbus to Cincinnati. Barber Avenue was named for him.

By the mid 1830's he was active in Brooklyn Township politics. Appointed a circuit judge in 1834, he stepped down to become the first elected mayor of Ohio City. He was an incorporator of Trinity Parish in downtown Cleveland and St. John's Parish at West 26th Street and Church Avenue. As the Vice President of the Cuyahoga County Colonization Society, he favored gradual abolition of slavery and the colonization of blacks in Africa and South America. 

He married Sophia Lord, and they had four children: Epaphras, Jerusha, Sophia, and Josiah, Jr.

When he passed away he was buried in Monroe Street Cemetery with his family. Later, In 1882, he and his family were moved to Riverside Cemetery and were buried in Section 23.

back to top

 

JOSIAH BARBER JR.  1825-1884

He was born on a farm on Cleveland's South Side. He was a civil engineer and took a prominent part in the construction of the CCC, CCC & I and LS & MS railroads. The CCC Railroad was first chartered in 1835 and was Ohio's first railroad. It had a route from Cleveland to Columbus to Cincinnati. He was also employed in a similar capacity in the building of the L.S. & M.S. Railroad. The Bee Line curve at Delaware and Rocky River Roads was constructed under his direction. 

For a short while he lived in Columbus where he met and married his wife, Caroline J. Cooke. In 1862 he enlisted in the 95th Regiment, O.V.I. and served with honor to the close of the war. He then moved back to Cleveland where he associated with Memorial Post, G.A.R. No. 141 in Cleveland. 

In early October 1875, in response to public call, a number of citizens met in the office of Judge Coffinberry to determine the advisability of organizing a Cemetery on Cleveland's West Side. By the middle of November, the Riverside Cemetery Association was legally organized. He served as a Founding Trustee, and the Board of Trustees elected him as our first President. He served from 1876-1880. Mr. Barber later became our second Superintendent and Clerk. 

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 23.

back to top

 

The Veterans' memorial, north of the cemetery office.

FRED A. BLOETSCHER  1885-1918

He was the first Greater Clevelander to die during World War I. He was killed in France and was returned for burial in Riverside Cemetery. A VFW Post named for him holds annual services at Riverside's Veterans' Memorial, and at his gravesite each Memorial Day.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 3.

back to top

 

TITUS N. BRAINARD  1825-1910

In 1814 his grandfather, Asa Brainard, came from Connecticut by ox-team wagon to the Western Reserve of Northern Ohio. He purchased about 140 acres on Columbus Street (now Pearl Road/West 25 Street/Scranton Road) to establish a residence and a farm. Titus was a farmer like his dad and grandfather and was the 3rd generation to run the farm. Not all of the land was converted to crops; much of it remained rustic woodland with streams, ravines, and a variety of bridges connecting various parts together. The residence and out-buildings were situated approximately where Scranton Road now intersects with West 25 Street, including some of the land where I-71 is located. The home was built in 1827 and was used by farmers from Royalton and Strongsville, traveling with their full wagons, to afford them a place to stay overnight and then go to the markets in the morning. It was the first inn in the area.

The Titus Brainard Monument, overlooking the Cuyahoga Valley.

In November 1875, Titus agreed to sell 102-1/2 acres of his property to the newly formed Riverside Cemetery Association. Thirty acres were developed rather quickly in time for a public opening on July 8, 1876. As Titus contemplated where his family burial lot would be located, he was said to have noted that the rural land below the Northeastern bluff of the property would never remain as farmland, but it would surely be transformed into a major city. This was especially probable, he felt, because of its proximity and view of Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga River. He wanted his lot to overlook this development, so he chose a place where this would be possible. The view from his lot will soon be that of the new Steel Yard Commons bordering on the Jennings (Ohio 176) Freeway. His friend and neighbor, Nicholas Meyer, selected a similar-sized lot close-by and overlooking his adjacent farm. Titus probably saw some of his City prophecy fulfilled since he lived until 1910 when West Side Residential and Commercial development was then well underway. 

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 26.

back to top

 

MATTHEW FREDERICK BRAMLEY  1868-1941

Bramley was the original investor in Luna Park, one of Cleveland's most popular amusement parks.

He was born in Independence, Ohio, lived on a farm, and attended Cleveland Public Schools. At age 19 he drove a team for paving contractors and learned about the business. He advanced to foreman for the Claflin Paving Co., and later for J.F. Siegenthaler whose daughter, Gertrude, he married in 1891. Soon he moved to Cleveland and worked at the Produce Bank. There he obtained paving contracts from three paving companies, and in 1894 he founded and was President of Cleveland Trinidad Paving Co., which eventually grew to be the largest paving corporation in the world.

In 1910 he became the original investor and owner of Luna Park Amusement Co. which thrived until the Depression brought it to a close in 1930. Also in 1910 he organized and operated Templar Motors which manufactured automobiles. During WW I it became an ammunitions factory; after WW I, it became Bramley Storage, one of Ohio's largest high rise furniture storage buildings. He served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 1898-1902, City Hall Commission of Cleveland 1898-1908, and Cuyahoga County Building Commission 1905-1908. He and his wife had two children, John and Margaret.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 23.

back to top

 

FRANCIS BRANCH  1812-1877

He came to Cleveland from Middle Haddem, Connecticut in 1818 and became heavily involved in agriculture and dairy farming. He became one of the first farmers to sell milk. He served three terms as County Commissioner.

He was a Founding Trustee of Riverside Cemetery and is buried in Section 6.

The Branch family monument

back to top

 

STEPHEN BUHRER  1825-1907

He was the son of Johann Casper and Anna Maria Miller Buhrer and was born on the Zoar Farm in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. When his father died in 1829, he was bound to the Society of Separatists who operated the communal farm at Zoar until he came of age. He received his education in evening classes and Sunday school. He learned the coopering trade when he was 12, and left Zoar at 17 to work as a cooper in Cleveland. After a time as a traveling salesman, he returned to Cleveland. In the late 1840's he opened his own coopering shop which he sold in 1853. By 1856 he was in business rectifying and distilling alcohol, and he expanded that business to manufacture gentian bitters and sewer gas traps, and to bottle mineral waters. By the late 1890's, he was a wholesale distributor of alcoholic beverages. He remained in business until he passed away

He was a Cleveland City Councilman for four terms from 1855-57, 1863-67, and 1874-76 and a Democratic Mayor of Cleveland from 1867-1871. During his term the House of Correction and old Workhouse were constructed, and he later served on its Board of Directors. 

In 1848, he married Eva Maria Schneider and they had three children: John, Mary Jane, and Lois Catherine. His wife died in 1889, and he later married Marguerite Paterson.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 23.

back to top

DANIEL CHATTERSON  1825-1897

The USS Dale.

He was a Veteran of the Mexican-American War and served aboard the "Dale", a Sloop of War from 1846-49. He was born in New York City and enlisted in the U.S. Navy on April 1, 1846. The war was primarily a ground war, but the Navy patrolled the coasts of Mexico and California where they captured Mexican privateers and merchantmen. They landed parties ashore which raised the American flag over the towns of Guaymas and Muelje. The "Dale" has the distinction of firing the last Navy ground action shots fired by the U.S. Navy in the Mexican War.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 10; and as far as we can ascertain, he is the only Veteran of this War buried here.

back to top

 

DIODATE CLARK  1798-1876

He was one of nine children born into a poor family in Springfield, Mass. By the age of 10 he was working on a farm. At nineteen, he and his brother Kelly started on foot walking westward. Kelly turned back, but Diodate kept walking and ended up in Cleveland with his bundle of clothes and one dollar in his pocket. He found work chopping wood and clearing land in the forests of Cleveland. When he had made enough money to move, he purchased a farm in Brooklyn. He added to his land until his farm grew to over two hundred acres.

His sound judgment, integrity and success in business gave him a place as one of the leading citizens. He served as County Commissioner for at least four terms of office, and was the first male school teacher in Brooklyn. He was also one of the first to manufacture lime in the city. He invested in vessel property and long identified with the commercial interests of Cleveland. He was a stock holder in, and chief manager of companies manufacturing woodenware. Clark Avenue was named for him.

In 1828 he joined the Methodist Church, and in 1835 he became a Trustee and assisted in the building of what was subsequently known as Hanover Street Methodist Church.

Soon after moving to Columbus Street, he joined the Methodist Church in Brooklyn and kept his membership with them for about thirty years before joining Franklin Street Methodist Church. His wise counsel, as one of its Trustees, and his liberal gifts contributed to the erection of their beautiful Church.

In 1822, he married Caroline Aiken and they had three children. Caroline's family's farm is now the location of Cleveland Metro Hospital, and Aiken Avenue is named for them. Caroline passed away in 1828. In 1829 he married Sarah White Lindsley and she passed away in 1863. In 1864 he married Mrs. Samuel Tyler. 

He was a Founding Trustee of Riverside Cemetery and is buried in Section 28. 

back to top

 

HON. JAMES M. COFFINBERRY  1818-1891

Judge James McClure Coffinberry was born in Mansfield, Ohio, and his only education was that obtainable in a pioneer village or district school. He studied law with his father and was admitted to the bar in 1841. He became the Prosecuting Attorney of Lucas County; Editor and Proprietor of the Staunch Whig Journal, the "Findlay Herald." He came to Cleveland in 1855 and established a law practice which continued the high respect for personal integrity and superior legal ability which he had come to enjoy in his professional life, and which earned him recognition among the most eminent lawyers in Ohio. In 1861 he was elected Judge of Common Pleas Court for a full five-year term where he won the increased esteem of the public and the respect and honor of the bar. His jury charges were models of clearness, directness, and logical compactness. As a complement to his outstanding judicial learning, professional ability, extensive research, and exacting implementation, no legal opinion pronounced by him was ever reversed on review by a higher court.

He was very active in the Democratic Party, and to a great extent was quite influential in rallying persons in northern Ohio to the support of the Union position in the Civil War. He was once President of the Cleveland City Council. He was one of the originators of Cleveland Viaduct, and the one who most earnestly advocated that the bridge be free of tolls. 

On the evening of April 8, 1875, he and his wife's carriage was struck by a freight train and both were seriously injured. He even lost a foot. When Mrs. Coffinberry settled with the railroad for personal damages, she insisted that the company must erect safety gates which she had seen elsewhere and which were not used anywhere in Cleveland at that time. The company agreed and this was done and thus became the first such railroad crossing safety gates erected in Cleveland. After retiring from the bench, he returned to private practice at his 201 Pearl Street office, but eventually had to retire because of ill health. 

He was a Founding Trustee of Riverside Cemetery and served as our Legal Counsel. He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 23.

back to top

 

JOHN B. COWLE  1826-1914

In 1880 he became associated with Globe Iron Works. He bought the company in 1886, and sold it to Cleveland Shipbuilding in 1899. During this same time period he served as Treasurer of Cleveland Drydock Co. which was tied into Globe Iron Works. He retired in 1900. In his later years he came out of retirement and was associated with Universal Machine and Boiler which was on Train Avenue. An Ore Freighter was named in his honor and operated for Republic Steel Corp. 

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 23.

back to top

 

JAMES MILTON CURTISS  1840-1916

He was a Nurseryman and Real Estate Developer. It was his concept and promotion which led to the now historic Arcade between Euclid and Superior Avenues. The inspiration for it came after seeing the Great Galleria in Milan, Italy. As a City Councilman he had the wisdom to realize the importance of a bridge to connect the west side with the downtown area. He promoted this idea and it became a reality.

He was a Founding Trustee of Riverside Cemetery and served as its first Superintendent from 1876-1880. He was the second Association President from 1880-1916.  He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 23. 

back to top

 

JOHN N. DAYKIN  1829-1892

Daykin, second from the right, was the conductor on President Lincoln's funeral train.

He was born in Gunnerside, Yorkshire, England, and was the eldest son of Joseph Daykin and Ann Woodward. In 1833 he traveled to America with his parents where they settled in Sharon Center, Ohio. He came to Cleveland in 1852 where he worked as a stonemason. In 1854 he got a job as a brakeman on the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati Railroad. A few months after his marriage in 1856 he was promoted to freight conductor, a position that he held until September 1, 1865. It was during this period that he was honored to be a conductor on Abraham Lincoln's funeral train. On April 29, 1865 it traveled from Cleveland to Columbus on the C.C.C. railroad during its journey from Washington D.C. to Springfield, Illinois. In 1865, John Daykin was promoted to Passenger Conductor and continued in that position until his retirement in 1888. After his death, a Memoriam said that "he was a favorite conductor on the C.C.C. road. He was noted for his punctuality, never in 34 years having failed his train".  

The Daykin monument.

Like his father and grandfathers before him, he invested in real estate. He is shown as having property in Sharon Township. He acquired property in 1857 in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin. The family's long time interest in Nebraska began in 1869 when he purchased land in Jefferson County that would later be the site of Daykin, Nebraska. He also owned land in neighboring Nuckolls County. He purchased at least five properties on Walton Avenue on Cleveland's West Side. His home was at the corner of Walton Avenue and Mill Street. In 1877 James Lonsdale Broderick visited John Daykin while he was in Cleveland during his trip from Yorkshire, England. Regarding his visit, James Broderick reported: "He drove us out with a fine horse, once a winning trotter and very fast, to see Riverside Cemetery which was laid out last year and of which he is a Trustee. Among their buildings is a small burial chapel with a receiving vault underneath where coffins can be held during harsh winters."

He was a Founding Trustee of Riverside Cemetery and is buried in Section 23.

back to top

 

LINDA ANNE EASTMAN  1867-1963

Linda Anne Eastman

She was born in Oberlin, Ohio, the daughter of William and Sarah Eastman, and she graduated from West High School in Cleveland. Upon finishing her education, she became a teacher in the Cleveland School System. After establishing a small library in her classroom, she saw the need for a larger selection of books for children. It was this experience that drew her towards her life's work as a Librarian. 

She served the Cleveland Public Library for forty-six years. She was the Fourth Head Librarian of the Cleveland Public Library and the first woman in the world to head a library system our size. After attending a planning meeting for the construction of the  4-1/2 million dollar Main Library Building, her predecessor, William H. Brett, was killed by a train. She was appointed to that position in 1918 following his accidental death. She immediately assumed supervision of this project and oversaw the remaining planning and construction during the next seven years. The Library opened in 1925.  

She founded the Cuyahoga County Library System in the basement of the Main Library. She developed the Open Shelf System, Special Services to Children, the Travel Section, Business Information Bureau, and Services to Blind and Handicapped and Hospitalized. She was President of both Ohio and American Library Associations. She was a CWRU Professor and formulated plans for the School of Library Science at Western Reserve University. Her professional achievements earned her National recognition. In 1960, Eastman Park, the revered outdoor treasure which lies between the two main downtown library buildings, was renamed The Eastman Reading Garden. The Branch Library at Lorain Avenue and West 115th Street was named in her honor. A contemporary has said that her notable achievements were due to "the rare combination of vision, practical wisdom and personal integrity which she possessed", and that "she won the respect and affection of every member of her staff and of all who knew her". 

She passed away at the age of 96 and is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 9.

back to top

 

HARRY M. FARNSWORTH  1862-1955

The Farnsworth Building.

He was the son-in-law of Titus Brainard and the Secretary-Treasurer of the Brooklyn Savings and Loan Co. In 1904 construction began on a new facility which would become the new home of the bank. Mr. J. Milton Dyer, a well-known designer of Cleveland City Hall and the First Methodist Church at Euclid and E. 30 St., was chosen to design the building. This note-worthy structure at Archwood and Pearl Road, was later named in honor of Harry M. Farnsworth.

He was one of the first persons to envision and develop what is now The Cleveland Metropolitan Park System, also known as The Emerald Necklace.

He appreciated the extensive variety of landscapes and terrain in and around the growing city of Cleveland. He valued the conservation of these natural resources and desired to protect them and keep them public in order to preserve this habitat for the future generations of Clevelanders. He knew these precious lands would be lost if they were not set aside for everyone's enjoyment while it was still early in Cleveland 's history.

He explored, evaluated, and investigated the vast woodlands, hills, ravines, creeks, rivers, flora and fauna in the areas. This must have been a laborious, time-consuming and arduous effort since his travels were accomplished on foot and horseback. He chose and gathered lands for the Metro Parks. His wisdom and zeal inspired others to join in his endeavors, and he served on the First Park Board.

His future vision of an extensive park for all persons to enjoy has certainly been realized. The Park currently contains over 21,000 acres and has 16 Reservations. It extends basically in a "U' shape around Cleveland with its northern border being Lake Erie. Its borders do make a ring or a necklace around the city. It Northwest border is at Lake Erie at Huntington Park in Bay Village, the South is in Hinckley, and the Northeast is in Lake County. The parklands follow the meanderings of the Rocky River on the West side and the Chagrin River on the East side. This is why is is now referred as Cleveland 's Emerald Necklace.
Before the automobile age, the park was explored by foot or on horseback. There were stables where persons could rent horses for their trek. As much as possible, the parkland remains rustic and in its natural state as it was during its early days.

He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 26.

back to top

 

CLAUD HANSCOMB FOSTER  1872-1965

   
Claud Hanscomb Foster
      

He was born in Brooklyn to George and Julia Wells Foster. He was a grandson of Ebenezer Foster who was one of the earliest settlers in the Brooklyn area in 1812. As a child he showed a lot of mechanical ability and interest in fixing things. His father, George, had been a drummer in the Civil War and passed on his love of music to his children. Claud's early jobs were as a musician and working as a machinist at the Standard Sewing Machine Co. and the Boltman Machine Shop. When he was nineteen, in 1891, he started his first machine shop in the Britton Building on Erie Street (now E. 9th). In order to help support his business, he played the trombone for eleven years in the Euclid Avenue Opera House Orchestra. He became an automobile dealer in 1896 where he sold the Cleveland-built General. In 1900 he acquired Peerless and Ajax automobile agencies.

The Gabriel Horn

He became a pioneer automotive inventor, industrialist and philanthropist.  Among his inventions were the Gabriel auto horn which was powered by exhaust gasses and the Snubber shock absorbers. The Gabriel horn, which became popular on luxury cars throughout the world, was a series of different length musical pipes which played a brief tune when activated. He founded the Gabriel Co. in 1904 to help market the horn which he named after the Angel, Gabriel. He was known to drive his red Winton car with Gabriel Horns on the side and play a variety of tunes. In 1907 he joined the Glidden Tour and drove his 4-cylinder Packard with a 36 tube horn. This exposure quickly made his company nationally famous.

In 1914, he developed the Snubber automotive shock absorbers. The Snubber shock absorbers dominated the market by constituting 75% of all shock absorbers manufactured in the world from 1920-25, and made him a millionaire. He was known in the auto industry as the "Doctor of Car Riding" and was often consulted on suspension problems with new models. 

He was one of the first industrialists to develop an employee profit-sharing incentive program. Between 1917-25 he paid his employees more than $600,000 in addition to their salaries. He donated generously and anonymously to hospitals and charitable institutions, and also gave pipe organs to several churches. He built the Brooklyn Branch YMCA, located south of the Cemetery on Pearl Road, in memory of his mother.

In 1925, he sold his interest in the company to Otis and Co. for five million dollars, and divided the profits among his employees. He remained chairman until 1928. In 1952, he divided his fortune of almost four million dollars among sixteen Cleveland educational and charitable institutions. 

He and his wife Lounetta had a son Earl.

He passed away at the age of ninety-two and is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Section 22.

back to top

link to founding link to historic chapel and office link to early funerals and groundskeeping link to 1889 customs and rules link to prominent residents